You can obtain some pretty fantastic commercially available coffee syrup flavours, but if there's nothing on hand and you want a basic homemade syrup then here you go. It's both easy and tasty, and will help you and your kitchen welcome in the seasonal drama. If you're into that sort of thing.
Which I am not. I just like egg(less)nog.
Depending on the desired consistency of the end result, you can use between 1/4 and 1/3 a cup of water. Obviously the former will produce a thicker syrup and, in my case, so will the latter. This is because I would have spilled all of the extra water down myself.
If you feel the need, you can strain the spices, but I personally like the texture.
Not a coffee fan? Don't worry; this recipe is good for lots of other things too. Have a few suggestions:
- Pancake syrup
- Hot cocoa enhancer
- Top your favourite ice-cream(less)
- With hot rum (okay I'm making this up, but it does sound good
- Flavour cakes
- An easy gift in a pretty bottle!
Eggnog Spice Syrup
- Place the sugar and water in a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn down to a medium heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Add cinnamon and nutmeg and allow to continue cooking until the syrup becomes slightly thick.
- Add vanilla essence and set syrup aside to cool.