I was on a flight once, one where I’d requested a vegan meal. They served me my inedible “meal” (which, naturally, consisted of lettuce and rice since that’s all vegans eat), accompanied by a vegan brownie.
“Right, okay, I’ll give this a go,” I thought, and it was good. I’d even go as far as to say it was great. The texture was all smooshy and moist, and I was left wanting more. Please do not get me wrong because I am in no way complimenting airline food. I am merely using this one instance to illustrate what got me interested in the concept of vegan baking.
I tried a few other vegan baked goods after that, from cookies to cupcakes, and I was never dissapointed with any of them. So I was browsing the good old internets the other day because work just wasn’t going to happen, and I suddenly thought “hey! why don’t I try baking some vegan cupcakes or muffins or whatever the correct British term is for cakes in little cases!” Plus I was pretty anxious to try out my new silicone muffin mould thingies since they are pretty and stuff.
I found a recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World for chocolate cupcakes and decided to make a few changes to achieve one of my favourite flavour combination discoveries of last year: chocolate and chili. Please forgive any inconsistencies as this truly is my first attempt at vegan baking, if you don’t count bread.
Also, cat hair bakes well. Yes, born to be vegan.
Chocolate and Chili Vegan Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 175 C or 350 F and prepare your muffin moulds or pan (if using the silicone there’s no need to line them).
- Mix the vinegar and soy milk together and then add the sugar, oil, and vanilla, mixing it all up nice and good.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, chili, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well, but not too well (a few lumps in muffins aren’t a bad thing).
- Fill the muffin moulds about 3/4 and bake for around 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the centre comes out clean.
- If you are patient, let them cool. If you are me, eat immediately.