If you're looking for smoked tofu recipe ideas, this instant pot black rice with coconut tomato purée and smoked dukkah tofu is well worth a go. No great preamble to this recipe, the idea of which came to me after searching for items to pair with tinned tomatoes in The Art & Science of Foodpairing: 10,000 flavour matches that will transform the way you eat by Peter Coucquyt, Bernard Lahousse, and Johan Langenbick.
This is a warming comfort meal that's easy and comes together in a relatively short block of time. That's it.
Black rice, smoked dukkah tofu, toasted coconut and tomato purée
- Instant Pot
- 100 grams black rice
- 170 millilitres water
- ¾-1 teaspoon mushroom seasoning granules
- 130 grams smoked tofu cut into 2 centimetre cubes
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame or other oil
- scant 1 tablespoon dukkah
- oil for frying
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ medium onion chopped (75-100 grams)
- 1 400 gram tin tomatoes chopped or whole
- 20 grams ¼ cup dessicated coconut
- ½-¾ teaspoon rose water
- salt to taste
- pomegranate molasses
- spring onions parsley, mixed herbs (optional), roughly chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- Add the rice, water, and mushroom seasoning granules/powder to your instant pot bowl. Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes and allow natural pressure release for 10 minutes. Alternatively you can soak the rice overnight, wrap it in muslin, and steam for around 30 minutes, flipping at the 20 minute mark. The timing for the non Instant Pot method may need to be adjusted depending on how long the rice has soaked.
- Toss the cubed tofu in the sesame oil and bake at 180 degrees (fan) Celcius for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, add the dukkah directly to the tray you cooked the tofu in, and shake to coat.
- Add some oil to a saucepan and fry the garlic and onion until the onion is translucent. Add the tinned tomato. Cook for 15-20 minutes on medium-low heat until the sauce thickens.
- While you are cooking the tomato sauce, tip the dessicated coconut into a small frying pan. Toast over medium-low heat until evenly browned.
- When the tomato sauce is cooked, tip it into a blender, along with the toasted coconut and rose water. Purée to a smooth consistency. Tip back into the saucepan (you can rise the blender jug out with a wee bit of water to add back to the sauce too). Add salt to taste and keep on a low heat until you're ready to serve.
- Divide the rice into two portions and place in the centre of a plate or large, wide bowl like a soup plate. You can shape it with a cup if you'd like. Pour the tomato mash around the rice (it's quite thick so you can use a spoon or fork to flatten/even it out). Drizzle the rice and tomato with a little bit of pomegranate molasses.
- Carefully scoop half the tofu with a wedge of the cheese onto each mound of rice and top with herbs. You can also drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the lot.