This is a veganised version of a recipe from Claudia Roden’s Arabesque, one of my favourite cookbooks, full of delicious recipes which are both simple and easily veganised.
People ask me why I want books with so many non-veggie recipes inside and my response is that it simply inspires more creativity in the kitchen! What can I use to replace the chicken? Can I find a gluten-based substitute for the pork? What mock-meat products on the market might make a good replacement?
Aubergine with Tahini, Pomegranate, and Yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to a very high temperature, at 240° C (475° F).
- Cut the aubergine either across or lengthways into 1.25cm thick slices. Oil both sides of the slices, sprinkle with a little salt, and place them on an oiled sheet of foil on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, mix together yoghurt with the tahini, lemon, and garlic (tip: you can fry the garlic in a little oil for 20 or 30 seconds before adding to the yoghurt; the flavour infuses more quickly into the yoghurt this way).
- Mix pomegranate molasses together with the white wine vinegar and about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. When the aubergine slices are ready, arrange on a serving plate and brush both sides of the slices liberally with the pomegranate-vinegar dressing.
- Serve with yoghurt mixtue sprinkled on top.