I received a bag of hemp seeds a sample once and it was one of those ingredients that I kept intending to use but every time I looked at it I though “yeaaaaaah, no” and deep fried something instead.
Since I'm currently trying to declutter my kitchen in order to make space to fill my kitchen back up with clutter again, it was time to either bin or use the hemp. But what goes with hemp? Like flax, hemp tastes a bit like lawn clippings, so how could I make that work? Then I realised matcha green tea has a similar profile, but in a nicer way, and so I bunged a bunch of stuff in my Froothie machine and this hemp matcha milk is what came out.
This hemp milk recipe is more akin to a British style milkshake, which is basically sweetened flavoured milk that is slightly thicker than the milk on its own. If you enjoy the bitterness of matcha then cut down on the salt and sugar, which exist in the quantities they do to balance the bitter after taste.
Sweet Hemp and Toasted Pecan Matcha Milk
While there are many vegan options for creating dairy free milks, hemp is a good option if you like a fresh and grassy flavour (which complements the flavour profile of matcha). The pecans impart a buttery toasted flavour and the sugar and salt offset the bitterness brought forward by the green tea powder. Xanthan gum adds a slight viscosity to the liquid, but is not necessary and can be omitted. Serve hot or cold. Try adding some cocoa powder for chocolate matcha milk.
- 500 millilitres water
- 120 grams (¼ cup + 1 tablespoon) soft palm sugar
- 60 grams (½ cup) shelled hemp seeds
- 30 grams (¼ cup) toasted pecans
- 7 grams (1 tablespoon) matcha powder
- 5 millilitres (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon flaked sea salt (preferably Maldon)
- 1/16 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- Blend all of the ingredients in your blender until smooth. Either consume as is or, for a smoother milk, strain the liquid through muslin or a nut milk bag. Alternatively do what I do, which is use the cut off foot of thin tights/pantyhose.
- Author: Kip Dorrell
- Makes 600-700 millilitres, depending on how much you spill.
- Cuisine: Non Dairy Milk