Tahini Maple Spinach
Spinach is one of the few green vegetables my partner actively enjoys, and he is especially fond of the balance of nuttiness from tahini and sweetness from maple syrup and mirin in this recipe. This is an easy side to throw together on a weeknight and it goes well with Persian steamed rice (chelo) and/or a crusty farmhouse loaf or sourdough.
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or Maggi seasoning
- ½ – 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 500 grams fresh spinach
- Whisk the tahini, maple syrup, mirin, lemon juice, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and lemon zest together in a small bowl.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to a large saucepan and cook the garlic on medium heat until fragrant. Add spinach a handful at a time and cook down. Tip the dressing in and stir through. Serve hot or cool.
- Author: Kip Dorrell
- Serves: 2-3, as a side