Hi. My name is Kip, or Catherine if you prefer, and I’m a messy cook. I love spending time in the kitchen and sharing my disasters and discoveries.
I moved to England from Maryland (USA) in 2001 and have been here long enough to consider conversations about the weather interesting. I am self-employed and my work consists of a range of projects from t-shirt design to food writing. I like to make stuff, and Messy Vegan Cook is fuelled by that enthusiasm.
Other interests include travel, Thai language, books, cats, wine and other fermented things, cartoons, science, and play. See below.
Messy Vegan Cook is a repository of vegan recipes, reviews and information, and a few of my own personal thoughts. My goal is to show it’s possible to eat a varied and delicious diet devoid of animal-derived foods. I avoid the weight loss, detoxing, dieting language that creates body shame and guilt. I am not a nutritionist so I don’t know what’s healthy. I think the self help movement is damaging and only serves to make people feel like they aren’t good enough, so you also won’t find that here. If you do, call me out.
Readers who have been with me for the last decade know that the site was formerly Messy Vegetarian Cook. In 2009 I adopted a fully vegan diet, but I never changed the URL of this site as it didn’t seem pressing to do so. But I do believe there is power in language and ultimately since dairy is unethical I no longer wished to show any support for non-veganism, whether implied or real. And so in 2017 I decided to officially change the name to Messy Vegan Cook. Finally.
I am messy and not at all together. My flat stays moderately tidy only because my partner cleans. My kitchen is tiered with stacks of unheard of ingredients I probably won’t touch for years. Things regularly fall out of cabinets when I open doors. I swear at them.
I believe clutter is fine.
In the past I have shot with a Canon EOS 450D and a Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 lens. Sometimes I use my Samsung Galaxy S5. All photos are processed in Adobe Lightroom. My current gear includes:
- Canon EOS 6D camera body
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
- Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Lens
- Sony A6300 camera body
- Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Retractable Zoom Lens (24-75mm focal length)
- Manfrotto 055 Aluminium 3 Section Tripod with Horizontal Column
- Manfrotto MK II 3 Way Head in Adaptor W/Retractable Levers
- Follow me on Twitter
- Like me on Facebook
- Drop a note! Let me know what you think or make some suggestions. Either way, I’d love to hear from you.
- Look at what I’m eating on instagram @Kippysnacks
- Follow me on Pinterest
- I’m a participant in the Amazon Europe S.à r.l. Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.
- I also participate in the Foyles bookshop affiliate program.
- I sometimes complement pages with Google Adsense to earn money to support the site and supplement my income (which is made 100% from internet based sales and advertising).
- I’m a participant in the Zazzle and Cafepress affiliate programs.
- I review restaurants and products from time to time, but never under a dishonest agreement (i.e. I will not accept payment, nor freebies to write a positive review.
- I’m an ambassador for Froothie UK and earn affiliate commissions from their site.