This is a simple salad of broccoli with garlic yoghurt dressing that is heightened by the addition of savoury umami from mirin and seasoning sauce (or soy sauce). If you don't have mirin to hand, you can use sherry or Shaoxing rice wine (if it's the rice wine or a dry sherry, add a couple pinches of sugar as well). Alternatively maple syrup also adds a nice flavour.
Delicious hot or cold, I often serve this alongside mezze or tapas style dishes with plenty of fresh bread. A good dousing of quality extra virgin olive oil over the lot won't go amiss.
Broccoli with Garlic Spiced Yoghurt and Tahini
Garlic, yoghurt, tahini, and salt have the capacity to make the perfect dressing on their own, but a splash of mirin and soy adds an elevating savoury component. I love this with just a sprinkling of smoked paprika, which you could also mix into the dressing.
- 1 clove garlic
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- ½ teaspoon tahini
- ½ teaspoon seasoning sauce or soy sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon mustard powder
- Pepper and additional salt, to taste
- 5 or 6 pieces tenderstem or purple sprouting broccoli
- A few pinches smoked paprika, to serve (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. While you’re waiting for it to boil, pound the garlic and a pinch of salt into a paste using a pestle and mortar. Add the vegan yoghurt, lemon juice, mirin, tahini, seasoning or soy sauce, and mustard powder. Try a bit and add any additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Pop the broccoli into the boiling water for one minute, to blanch (or longer if you like your veg well cooked). Drain well, shaking the stems of excess water, and serve with the sauce drizzled over. Sprinkle with a few pinches of smoked paprika, if using.
- Author: Kip Dorrell
- Serves: 1-2 as a side or starter