Soft, rich, and delicious, molasses cookies are a solid favourite around the holidays. These are rolled in course demerera sugar for a crispy outside with a soft, doughy centre.
I added glacé cherries to the mix because, well, because they're awesome. Honestly, however, they don't make a huge difference because they're a bit too mild to mix with the bold flavour of molasses. It'll be ginger in the mix next time, for certain.
Vegan Molasses Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 190 C (375 F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the dry ingredients thoroughly, including the sugar. Stir in the liquid ingredients and, if using, fold in the glacé cherries.
- Scoop into approximate 1 tbsp balls and drop into the sugar. The dough will be a little sticky, but once it's coated in the sugar you'll be able to roll it into a ball. Place on the cookie sheet, two inches apart, and repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Place the tray in the fridge for 10-15 minutes and then flatten the cookies slightly with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and leave to cool on the sheet.